Saturday, October 15, 2005

Day 22 - Chicago -Milwaukee - Chicago

Well, at the moment we are on a train from Milwaukee to Chicago and it's 6.35pm. We got up sort of early today and took Chester for a nice walk - it's Halloween here (well almost) and it's so funny to see the effort the American's go to for Halloween - pumpkins everywhere and cotton trough trees!
Helena and I chatted over breakfast whilst Jay, Gra and Chester went for another walk. I really didn't want to take the car back to Milwaukee but we had to - that was the deal - that was where it had to be returned to. We got the details of mapquest and headed off at about 12.30pm - leaving plenty of time to get to the place at the designated time. I got one of the directions wrong and as a result we had to backtrack - then found we had been right the first time and in trying to get back on track again Gra took a turn straight into the path of an oncoming vehicle (look right/left/right doesn't work as well when the cars travel on the other side of the road). Praise God it wasn't at all serious, but it was scary and the girl in the other car (who was legally talking on her mobile phone) was really difficult. I think she had been on drugs (and I don't say that lightly) - the whole thing was so bizarre. We waited ages before her boyfriend arrived (it was his car) and he was totally cool. There was absolutely NO damage anyway (it must have been an Angel because I felt the cars touch and our was silver - hers red). The girl held us up for so long that we ended up back on the road so late that we missed the train connection from Milwaukee to Chicago and won't get back to Jay and Helena's until late. I'm not happy! I guess God knows something I don't 'cause I really want to just spend time with our friends. The whole Drive-away has been a costly experience - both time and money wise.

We got to spend a little time in Chicago city at night time while we waited for a connecting train back out to where Jay and Helena live. It's really a very beautiful and clean city. Reminds me a lot of Melbourne. I'd love to come back at some time.

I forgot to mention that there are lots of squirrels here and last night as Helena and I got home - a Raccoon was having fun in their garbage bin in the garage. The first time it's happened Helena said. She had left the garage door open!
We are really enjoying our time with Helena and Jay - they are precious and special people and we're far more comfortable than we thought we'd be.












Tiny little Jazzy
and then some photo's of Chicago by night....




























No comments: